Bingley – 15/08/2016 – Facilitated by SJR. 4 long term members present.
Check in: Catch up on our respective lives over the last week.
Subject: First part of Dr Robert Sapolsky’s video lecture on Depression. The video is available on our Links page. This prompted an excellent discussion.
Keighley – 18/08/2016 – Facilitated by PS. 5 long term members present.
Check in: Did you take any action to improve an aspect of your life that should contribute to reducing stress.
Subject: Mapping sources of stress against the key areas of your life with a view to planning stress avoidance and recovery. Using the Bio-Psycho-Social model and using 8 key aspects of life.
- Medical – Address your health issues, get the right medication, avoid aggravating substances etc.
- Exercise – Avoid what aggravates any health conditions and do what you can.
- Diet – Eat healthy and avoid certain foods.
- Environment – Identify a beneficial environment and access it frequently.
- Family – Make time for family, avoid those who stress you.
- Social Capital – Work at developing your support network, and give some back. Avoid what stresses you, concentrate on good situations.
- Work – Any organised activity that you gain something from. Not always money.
- Creativity – Active, or passive – create something, or appreciate the creativity of others.
- Identify your reactions, emotions and thoughts triggered by the sources of stress.
- Learn the details of what is known and understand your depression.
- Use your brain to develop blocking and recovery strategies.
Check out: Choose one action based on the above to try in the next week.